From the very start The Social Studies Wars by Ronald Evans
takes the reader into the mind of many great thinkers and influential people in
the education realm from throughout curriculum history. The idea that first struck me from the very
beginning was how deeply engrained teaching social studies is to our history
and how much of an evolution it has had.
As a modern-day teacher, I do not spend as much time thinking about the
past and path the standards I teach today have taken. After reading, I found myself curious and
wanting to know more about the evolution of the standards I teach in other
subjects as well. I feel that learning
more about this would has an influence on how I view what I am teaching
today.
The Social Studies Wars explains to the reader the ideas of
some main groups interested in implementing their ideas into the curriculum
that students will learn. Those include
the traditional historians, Mandarins, social efficacy educators, social
meliorists, and social reconstructionists.
As I mentioned in a previous discussion, I find the connection to unit 1
and citizenship to again impact and ground my thinking when learning about
these interests involved in different social studies learnings. I feel that these ideas about citizenship can
be discussed and compared to Evan’s thesis as he presented in the introduction. Evans says, my thesis is that what began as a
struggle among interest groups gradually evolved into a war against progressive
social studies that has strongly influenced the current and future direction of
the curriculum (Evans, 2004).
As it would be monotonous and repetitive to rehash the book
from the Committee of Ten to the National Council for Social Studies, I
wondered how do these ideas presented by these groups fit into our definitions
of citizenship. In addition, I found
myself curious about what disagreements may have played out in other content
areas in developing their curriculums or does the controversial nature of many
social studies topics influence this.
From reading I found that early traditional history centered
curriculums seemed to have a focus on the very basic principles of American
citizenship and were often reflective of ideas taught more often in personally responsible
citizenship. Evans quotes of the traditional
history, the value judgment is their stock in trade: love of country, love of
god, duty to parents, the necessity to develop habits of thrift, honesty, and
hard work in order to accumulate property, the certainty of progress, the
perfection of the United States. These
are not the be questioned (Evans, 2004).
Though as a reader, one might find these to be quite good qualities to
teach students, you wonder what more could students learn beyond this.
As with many things, these ideas by the Seven and Ten went
out of popularity and more progressive ideas were put into place by theorists
such as John Dewey and David Snedden. These
ideas swung the pendulum the other direction more toward current issues and social
justice, potentially creating more social justice citizens. John Dewey was quoted saying, “education is
the fundamental method of social progress and reform (Dewey, 1899). It is clear his ideas as discussed previous,
focus on pushing students beyond the traditional history.
Harold O. Rugg became a large influence in social studies curriculum
leading up World War 2 and created the textbooks that many students interacted
with daily. This created a more unified
social studies plan across different states but still drew criticism from
many. As his creation of textbooks sold
in mass amount came onto the scene, World War 2 was just beginning and the focus
on American education changed in preparation of war bound students. Many students were focused on life as
citizens that would soon become soldiers.
Evans states, preparing students to give their lives for democracy
became a real purpose for many educators (Evans, 2004). This leads me to believe that a focus for
many educators again was on creating personally responsible citizens.
Another large change came to social studies education following
World War 2 and surrounding the Cold War.
The impact of the fear of communism changed the way many taught and interacted
with their students. The National
Defense Education Act in 1958 even created a focus solely on what now we would
call STEM and social studies was pushed toward the background. Though this took place in 1958, I feel that
with acts such as No Child Left Behind this often happens knowingly or
unknowingly to many students today. As focus
continued on STEM, the little amount of time spent teaching social studies into
the 1960s and 1970s created scared and personally responsible citizens. Teachers taught with a fear of bringing up
controversial issues of Civil Rights and Vietnam. Evans quotes Barrow, Gross and Sobel to go so
far as to say, schools were institutions of conformity that destroyed the souls
of children, coerced them to sit through hours of boring classes, and neglected
the needs of individuals while oppressing the culture and history of students
of color (Evans, 2004).
Again, as I
read this I wonder how much of what we do today has really changed from then as
many teachers including myself find it challenging to teach controversial
issues that includes a full range of ideas and opinions. As we continued into the 1980s and 1990s it
seems that again the pendulum swung to include more social studies, though the
focus was on history almost entirely. As
the National History Standards in 1994 were put into place and our current view
of social studies with more of a focus on character education and global education
went into place teachers still struggle with the best way to teach social studies.
As the reader can see social studies education has taken a
long road to get where it is now, but as with anything the trip is not
over. I do not feel that we are at a
perfect place with social studies education currently and wonder how current
events such as war or economy may change our ideals as they did in the past. I also wonder how we will know what the best approach
is or if changing with the tides is the best idea to fit the current societal
ideals. As I said after reading, I
wonder how much influence current issues of the time had on curriculums other
than social studies. This makes me want
to investigate content area curriculums that I thought before this were black
and white and wander into what may be actually a gray area.
Hi Nora,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post. I really enjoyed reading it!
Yes, you are absolutely right that other subjects have been impacted by our social context. Just think about the reading debates of the 1980s--phonics versus whole language. That is one of the most famous curricular debates in US history (and you might imagine who the sides lined up).
There has always been a debate, since the time of Dewey, between those who thought that all knowledge emerges from everyday experience and those who thought that disciplinary knowledge was something apart from everyday life. If you were a progressive in this sense, you knew you could start with the child's interests and lead them toward the formal subject matter of the disciplines. That would hold for math or reading or really anything else. You can see this tension all over US education.
You are right to note that STEM was first pushed after the launch of Sputnik. Since that we time, we have viewed education as a national security issue. Also, during the global economic downturn of the 1970s, we came to see education as an issue of economic preparedness and competitiveness. Across all of this, we gradually moved away from subjects like the arts and citizenship that didn't seem as important for "beating the Soviets" or getting a job. But it also impacted the way we thought about what an education is for, and how we justified the teaching of various subjects. The idea that education could be about personal growth and self realization or actualization was actually very popular in the 1960s and 1970s--it may not have had a huge impact in schools, but it was at that time that homeschooling first started, and open classrooms became a real fad (as did Montessori and other options like that).
So, you're right, it's all connected. What we have to ask again and again is how any of this benefits kids in the here and now. We cannot justify school with a future that may never come. At least I would argue that. Dewey is clear that the rights of the child means treating their present life as important as anything that might come in the future (and further argues the best way to prepare for the future is to be maximally alive and well in the present).
These are great ideas and I hope you will continue to let them filter into your thinking about your work as an educator! Great job!
Kyle